The Other Side of Dr. Xeno's Brain

It's me, Dr. Xeno. Here are lecture notes and ideas for my work teaching physical and cognitive development across the lifespan (HDEV 3101) at the Department of Human Development at CSU, East Bay. This content is often referred to as mind-brain, mind body connection, brain and behavior; but it is really about the knowledge derived from the related fields of neurology, neuropsychology, neuroscience and cognitive science. Sometimes I just write about my kids or bike racing. Feel free to comment!

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Those 5 Things...

I got tagged by the the Merkeley-AliCat combo in this 'game' in the midst of holiday haze and have not yet delivered the goods. (Is anyone still playing?). Like others, I am wondering about the criteria: 'interesting' things? new things people don't know? if you only know me from the blog or bike world, pretty much anything would be new and/or interesting. However, I am not completely anonymous here as people from work have seen my blog with varying effects (though I suspect I've bored them all away by now). I feel a bit self-concious and can't go as far into the interesting realm as perhaps I'd like... nevertheless:

1. I was a kindergarden drop-out in East Lansing MI where it was not required. I was a hyperactive youngster who knew my Principal Better than my teachers. I was suspended once in junior high and once in high school.

2. Despite #1, I graduated from Homewood Flossmoor (ILL) HS in decent shape and went to college - mainly to swim NCAA div III at Augustana College (Rock Island ILL) and discovered academic interest and skill. Once I found stuff I wanted to learn (sports psychology and then neuropsychology), I got hooked on school and earned my doctorate from University of Georgia (hence my nickname, Dr. X). UGA is where I picked up my cycling habit and enjoyed a second collegiate athletic career.

3. My name really is 'Xeno'. Born in 1965 to beat-hippie artist parents; Lizzy & Buzzy. They had connections and impact on the arts - my Mom (educator and visual artist) was friend, muse & model for R. Crumb and my dad is Buzzy Linart; co-wrote Bette Midler's theme song & first hit, "(You Gotta Have) Friends". With him, I've met too many musicians to list but a few with name recognition are Doctor John, Jackson Brown, Eric Burden, Styx, George Clinton & P-Funk (no words with Bootsy, damn), 'Fatha' Earl Hines, Maruga, Paul Schaeffer, John B. Sebastian, John Hammond, Lee Freeman (of Strawberry Alarm Clock AND Lynyrd Skynyrd), and all of The Holy Modal Rounders.

4. I never dared to really plunge into art; I just dabbled in radio, photo, writing, acting, voice over, blues harmonica and eclectic rock bands ('Stimulus Bound' was my best creative co-effort in the Baltimore years with an all Johns Hopkins Hospital band; 'ATM' had promise but faded after our only gig opening for The Holy Modal Rounders at Sweetwater). My worst arts moment was getting cut from the college dance troup.

5. I've competed in swimming, diving, wrestling, cross-county, track, field, road running, skateboarding, gymnastics, rock climbing, cycling, and triathlon. I can't remember ever winning an event of any significance - I do it because it's fun & good for you. For me, it's been therapeutic: Keeps me fit, out of trouble and in touch with good people.

Can I still tag? Flandria, Farzan, Maynard me Gusta, Little Jewford, and Dennis. If they already did their thing, sorry, I missed it!

6 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Merkeley Bike said...

Funny...I was born in East Lansing in 1965 and competed in the 'Rock Island Relays' many times as a youngster.

I guess we're all just part of the Great Westward Migration.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Allison Krasnow said...

Gotta love those midwestern roots. I'm from Evanston and was also a swimmer (though I'm a bit younger than you so our paths wouldn't have crossed).

Competed at rock climbing? What was that like?

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Dang, we gotta hang out more & find more of the common pathways! I bet Ali & I can find at least one person we know in common. BTW, when I lived on Woolsey in Berkely, I used to run up your street!

Rock climbing comp. was strange; indoor courses set. Wait in line for your chance to try to go as high as you can on all of them. Finals in the evening for top achievers on the prelim climbs. A bit like a championship swim meet with heats in the am and finals at night. A lot of waiting, watching, anxiety. Kinda took the fun out of climbing for me; preferred training indoors for skills to really enjoy outdoors with confidence. I only did 4, maybe 5, then gave it all up to focus on windsurfing & tri. (Joke, that's not really 'focus'.)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Ron Castia said...

Tagged? Damn it, I was hoping to skate this one.

Now I'll have to reveal my secret Fresnian life.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Si claro, please review the hi-lites of your hair band / heavy metal history!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Gianni said...

The secrets of the Tower district, revealed finally.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home