The Other Side of Dr. Xeno's Brain

It's me, Dr. Xeno. Here are lecture notes and ideas for my work teaching physical and cognitive development across the lifespan (HDEV 3101) at the Department of Human Development at CSU, East Bay. This content is often referred to as mind-brain, mind body connection, brain and behavior; but it is really about the knowledge derived from the related fields of neurology, neuropsychology, neuroscience and cognitive science. Sometimes I just write about my kids or bike racing. Feel free to comment!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Smells like Snelling

Ahh, a full field on a sunny day; this is Field B of 35+4/5 sport racers. Actually, I count about 55 helmets in the shot alone and it's missing the two-man break that lasted til the final lap and also missing a few of my 11 team-mates... I can see myself, far right of the frame back of the mass. Amazing to think how easily I was able to move to the front of this mass. No really, I did spend a lot more time at the front than usual; of course it helps that several teams were afraid of the wind. Did a lot of work, some of it wise, some misplaced, but we got the end result teams dream of - DOUBLE VICTORY!

Steve Vickery threw down a mighty solo effort for the entire final lap catching the breakaway on it's last breaths and Mighty Mo Daroy won the field sprint. You can see Mo at the very front of the pic, just left of center; a spidey mate over each shoulder, Dave left, Richard right. So, we went 1-2 with our biggest guy (209) and smallest guy (maybe 135?). Yes, we had the largest team in the field, but we did last year as well and only managed one top 10 (again, Mighty Mo in only his 2nd RR ever). In true, lovable, Velo Promo fashion, haven't seen full results yet, but I am certain I placed my highest yet in the region (12-15th?). Squeezed in alongside Dave & Richard, we were within CMs of each other and some other sporty. Anyway, I think my best race yet in the geezer chapter of my life. And I'm still in my Base Phase.

Photo credit: Jan Snyder

7 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great race Dr. X! I'm sure you will be rewarded with a W sometime this year.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

that is a very good result.


and, sometimes, having a larger team actually makes it harder to win because there's more eyes on you, expecting you to do everything.

but, if the team works cohesively ... what a joy to be a part of.

congrats to you guys!

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats a great photo! Since there were only three VSRT guys in the race, and I can account for the other two (one off the back due to a chain drop, and one in front of the red car...), that must be my arm peeking out from behind Richard on his left. Cool! I had no idea that I was ever that close to the front. My typical tactic of "follow the EMC guys" must have bee working! :-)

Twas cool meeting you, Xeno!

Jonathan Q

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xeno - you guys worked hard and deserved it. I wuz lazy but you'll hopefully see me be more aggressive in the near future now that my racing feet are wet. It was nice making your acquaintance during the race.

Metz from the Eden team

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Man, this makes me EMC homesick. Great job out there Steve! Okay Dr. X - you're next.....the W awaits.....

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger diskzero said...

Nice result. It looks like it is going to be a good season!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Quist & Metz - I have a feeling we'll see a lot of each other this year! M. welcome back to racing!

I think we Spidey Sporties finally got the collective fitness & tactics to do something when we show up with the largest team - but we still need to realize how other teams will indeed wait/watch to see what we do; and some won't like it whatever we do. I should clarify & name names, only SGW were visibly 'afraid' to pull through; in part because they had enough guys near the front you'd think they contribute to the chase but generally just glommed up the works. Solo dudes, heck, look out for yourself!

Chico - hope to see you soon brother! And my W is at least a few weeks off while I build some anaerobic endurance...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home